The North Star House, designed in 1905 by the renowned California Arts and Crafts architect, Julia Morgan, is listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places. The house is located on a portion of the former North Stare mine, a 14 acre site one mile from downtown Grass Valley. It was built as the residence of North Star Mine Superintendent Arthur De Wint Foote and his wife, author and illustrator, Mary Hallock Foote. After the closure of the mine, The North Star House served as a Christian School for At-Risk Youth and was later abandoned. In 2002, the house and grounds were donated, by land owner Sandy Sanderson, to the Bear Yuba Land Trust.
The North Star Historic Conservancy took ownership of the house and grounds in August 2015. The North Star Historic Conservancy was established in 2006 to restore and manage the house and grounds. Each year the Conservancy identifies a series of restoration projects which have to be prioritized in light of available donations and volunteer labor.
The North Star House and its grounds are currently available for weddings and celebrations, music and theatrical events, and meetings.
If you wish further information, to donate funds, or to volunteer, please contact us at thenorthstarhouse.org or 530.477.7126.